Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hawaii Bar and Grill very good, very reasonable

I visited the Hawaii Bar and Grill in Garapan, which is specifically located across from the Hyatt on Hotel Street. Former Rep. Andrew Salas, as well as a partner I didn 't meet, recently opened the place. It is brightly lit, attractively decorated, the food is very tasty and it has extremely reasonable prices. The menu seems pretty Japanese to me. Cynthia and I had a grilled Mahi fillet, chicken terriyaki and a poki appetizer along with non-alcoholic drinks. Our bill was $24. I never even heard of Poki until several months ago, but it has become a favorite. The only downside to the place is that it was badly understaffed on the waitstaff front. Table service is pretty wretched across the board in Saipan, but this case just seemed to be a factor of being spread too thin, not incompetence. The place is also a little small and they're using take out boxes instead of plates. I'd change that, but I can't complain given the prices. I definitely expect to be back and very soon. Andrew was also a friendly and gracious host.

On Valentines Day Cynthia and I availed ourselves of the $29 couple special at Bruce and Olive's place Porky's. For $29 we had a local pumpkin soup, caesar salad, a chicken in wine sauce with mushrooms main course for each of us and a delicious banana and ice cream dessert -- along with a glass of champagne. Given that Cynthia is with child, that meant I had two glasses of champagne. Parker provided the live music. The food was great and extremely reasonable in price, which is always the case there. Porky's has the Filpino and local based dishes that my wife likes, and things like poki, kelaguen, grilled fish, burgers and mojitos that I like. Olive and Bruce are also fantastic hosts.

2 comments:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. We are glad you enjoyed the Valentine special dinner.

We were happy with the nice turnout...really didn't know what to expect and were pleasantly surprised with the crowd.

I'll try Hawaii on your recommendation. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

We were at Andrew Salas' HAwaii Bar and Grill a few weeks back and I thought food was great.

But I would like my dinner served on a plate.

Well, despite food served in take out boxes, it is still affordable considering the restaurant to be situated in front of hotels.