Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The bitching about Lost

First, here is the news on Lost, abridged from the NY Daily News.

ABC has renewed the show for 48 episodes to be spread over several years, ending
during the 2009-10 season. The show will air uninterrupted in 16-episode
seasons. "Lost," which has suffered some ratings erosion this season, has come
under fire for weak story lines and episodes that seemed to lead nowhere. In
recent weeks, the content has rebounded, according to some critics. For the
season, "Lost" is averaging 15.1 million viewers, down from 15.4 for all of last
season.

I don't watch many shows. I watch The Sopranos, Real Time with Bill Maher, the Daily Show, The Office sometimes, and that is about it. I watched CSI for a while, but long ago had enough of that. I loved the West Wing, liked Six Feet Under and was sorry they both ended.

Lost is one of the few shows that I really like and would never miss. I've read the bitching about Lost, and I don't get it. The Others are about the best bunch of villains out there. This is the best season ever as far as I'm concerned, at least on par with season one and much better than season two. Yes, the long hiatus in the middle of this year was a mistake, but it seems they are rectifying that problem. I think dragging it out over three years is probably a mistake, but oh well. What I object to is the talk that the show isn't any good anymore. I would say it is by far the best show on tv. The main characters are interesting. They've wiped out some of the boring ones. And the bad guys are fascinating. This show is free, compelling, and better than 95 percent of the crap that makes it to Wallace Theaters.

3 comments:

Angelo Villagomez said...

I am a huge LOST fan. I thought that the episode with the spider was brilliant; it was as good as any Edgar Allan Poe story.

I want them to bring back Michael and Walt...and then I want them to die a horrible death. Maybe they could be attacked by the black cloud and then eaten by polar bears?

Jeff said...

I agree that was a great episode. I download the thing early so as not to be a week behind. And on tha topic, it is unbelievable how many newspapers feel the need to reveal what happened on a show as if the characters are real or what happened to them is newsworthy. Whatever happens on the Sopranos is on the front page of the daily news, or in Peter King's column or elsewhere as if some of us were working that night, or live in a place a week behind everyone else.

Brad said...

Jeff, I couldn't agree more about Lost....it's a great show. I think the numbers don't take into account all the people like you and I that, as you said, download the show.

That's the difficulty today...downloading shows is easier and faster than ever. We both know what it's like here in Korea where the show has a huge following because of the Korean characters.

I wish the critics would recognize they're inflating the problem.